Sung to the tune of Janet Jackson’s song “What have you done for me Lately” I have this habit of thinking of songs that match what I’m talking to someone about or what I’m thinking of!
Tonight I put in an expression of interest to a blog I follow called ‘Recycled Interiors’ I’m hoping they might share a post of mine on their blog, they have over 10,000 followers! As I wrote about all the reasons I’d love them to share my blog, I realised I haven’t written about what I’ve done environmentally for a while.
I often post my Op shop finds on my Facebook Page, but someone looking at my blog may not realise what my real passion is!
So here’s what I have done lately…
- I went into a local Op shop today in my lunch break. I didn’t find anything, it was a very brief look & that in itself is a bit environmental that I didn’t buy something for a change! I’m trying to get ‘less stuff’ but can’t resist the pull of Op Shops
- I have been de-cluttering the house a bit lately. I have sold a few things on the local Buy Swap Sell page for cheap! I’m trying to minimize.
- My Mum & I have a little honesty plant stall going out the front of my house. I live on a main road & there is quite a bit of traffic, I am capitalising on this. All plants are babies from other plants & are potted in recycled pots or cartons/ containers. I sell all plants for $2 only & in about 2-3 months we’ve made $107.00 It’s a lot of fun checking the mail box each day. I’m going to take my Mum out for a meal with our money! When my mandarins are ripe, they will take priority!
- I a bit obsessed with making things out of recycled cardboard boxes. I recently made a little boat from a box for my nephew’s 13th He got his boat licence for his birthday. I filled the boat with fishing stuff, his favourite drink, chips, etc. He said it was one of his favourite gifts. I also made a little stable for my friends 40th & put a handmade knitted horse I’d bought for her in it. Her dream is to get a real horse.And finally, I made another cubby houses for my baby girl, which she loves. This one has doors so small only she can squeeze in them.
- I made a Dogs Bed for my Jack Russel, Spot, from a pair of old jeans, filled with clothes I was going to donate. I saw this on a Facebook Clip put on by ‘Tip Dog’. I found him snuggled up in his kennel on them this morning.
- I learnt to make my own Sauerkraut. Some friends & I get together & teach each other how to make natural foods. Our first lesson was on making sauerkraut & the 2nd was the yoghurt. We have our own Facebook group & plan on doing more sharing/ teaching.
- I grew (well they grew themselves) a heap of Pumpkins! They went over the fence into my neighbours yard, who I sweet talked into keeping them. I then shared the pumpkins & made them a Pumpkin Cake to say THANKS!
- I visited a really great local farm who have a sustainable focus on Easter Sunday. My husband & I came away really inspired & started revamping our garden & yard, moving water tanks & planning for another garden. Next plan is for bees!
- Yesterday I visited a local nursery & got some new seedlings & planted them, the chooks almost totalled my last lot!
- I found a new form of Art I enjoy, recycling canvas’s with a collage of quotes/ pics from magazines.
- I made a cake for a friend, entirely of fruit!
- I made homemade/ homegrown oven dried tomatoes
- I continue to drink Banrock Station red wine! Most Environmental wine I know of.
- Today I signed up for an awesome local workshop on composting. I really need to learn more, to maximise my current compost.
- I have also signed up for a 21 day to a More Sustainable Home Program starting May 23rd with www.recycledinteriors.org I can’t wait!
- I save wrappers & encourage my Mum to continue making her amazing recycled package bags. I got her to make one for my friend, who loved mine.
You can check out my earlier lists of what I do here http://myownclarity.com/trying-to-be-green/ and http://myownclarity.com/trying-to-be-green-part-ii/
Fingers crossed I get a guest post on recycled interiors, I’d be pretty excited!
Now over to you Greenie; What have you done lately?