http://thewellsummit.com/bring-a-friend/ Christmas is an interesting time. A time of expectations. Unfortunately often a time of overspending, over-eating & indulging occurs and huge waste is created.
I don’t want to forget that. Last year we had a Buy nothing new theme. This year there was a mixture of bargain hunting & recycling. Here’s some of how we did Christmas this year.
- We gave my daughter a little tykes Car for her main gift. I got it for free from an awesome local recycle/ free/ swap page I’m a part of. I cleaned it up & hubby fixed the broken steering wheel. She loved it!
- We fixed & repainted a little wooden table, that’s been sitting broken in the garage for ages.
- I received a 4th hand IPhone 4 from Supergirl who upgraded.
- My parents gave our toddler a brand new Fly Swat! Cheap, genius gift I thought! Ha ha
- My youngest sister’s 1 year old was given an awesome 2nd hand Thomas the Tank Engine, train set as his main gift, it came with about 6 trains, heaps of tracks, bridges etc. Recycled from their lovely neighbour.
- On the 23rd Dec I Op shopped & found:
- Half a dozen great quality t shirts for my husband.
- A 2nd hand Breville bread maker that looks like it’s never been Used!
- A hand painted bird feeder house for my Mum’s garden
- Brand new Paris coasters (in the packet)
- Tin candle holders that can hang in the garden or on the back deck. (nothing like last minute finds!)
- My brother in law gave me 2 native shrubs for the garden, Scaevola Aemula or common named Mauve Cluster, which will attract butterflies, one he’d propagated himself.
- Some stocking stuffers for the girls came from Op shops.
- Super girl got a 2nd hand laptop that my husband had refurbished from his work place – (would’ve been a throw out.)
- My other sister gave a homemade hamper; which consisted of the most divine peanut/ cashew butter, chocolate balls, capsicum & tomato passatta, semi sundried tomatoes, capsicum & cashew dip, vege stock & homus – all home-made.
- My Mum gave me some hand knitted cushion covers for the lounge – Check them out!
- Super girl found a 2nd hand Mandala phone cover for her Aunty – it cost 50c & she loved it!
- One of my sisters always wraps gifts in junk mail catalogues. Unique!
- Super girl did a wonderful painting for me on a recycled canvas – My favourite gift.
- I’m re-using old cards for price tags in my new shop (which I will writing my next post about)
- And of course – my old favourite, keeping some wrapping that can be re-used next year.(If not too ripped.)
- For lunch, we all took a plate, it’s fair to say, my Mum did more that her share but, altogether it was a wonderful lunch & enough for dinner also.
In the past I’ve been guilty of overspending & indulging. This year I am not. I had a really lovely relaxing day with my family and there was not too much stuff to find places for. Xx
Ps: Ideas for next year
A batch of home-made play dough
More hampers of home-made goodies and gift certificates for home made meals.